Monday, March 21, 2011

SPRING BREAK DAY ONE

It's Spring Break here in Colorado and I have been itching to take some time off for a creative workshop. Lacking the funds because of having one child in college and another going next year, I decided I'd  create my own workshop at home--no lugging supplies, no travel headaches, no spending huge amounts of money. Just spending the whole week exploring ideas that have been brewing in my mind all winter. So after morning yoga and coffee with a creative friend to get my juoices flowing, I can home to put together this journal that I can't wait to start using.
For the cover I used 140# watercolor paper, two sheets glued together for both the front and the back cover. When dry I fused pieces of this luscious batik fabric (from BOLD OVER BATIKS, http://www.boldoverbatiks.com/) to both the inside and outside covers and stitched around the edges to secure. I used Canson mixed media paper (my new favorite paper because you can use both watercolor and acrylics on it plus it is nice to write on) for the signatures. The papers were left over from another book I made awhile back, so I didn't have to go out and buy an paper for this but used up what I already had. I bound it with waxed thread using my favorite coptic stitch. I love using this binding stitch because the pages lay flat when the book is open so it is easy to paint or write on.
The book measures 4.5"x5" which is a nice small size that fits in my purse so I have it with me at all times. Looking forward to another day of creativity tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment